[Hacker-event-theory] turning feedback from ohm into learning points

Amran amx109 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 02:17:50 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Rejo Zenger <rejo at zenger.nl> wrote:

> ++ 05/04/14 22:28 +0100 - Amran:
> >That's the more interesting point: I don't see why you don't want to
> build such an place in a more urban area. Actually, one of those places
> I know of, is located in a city (unfortunately in Dutch only):
>
>   "Een van de bekendste projecten van Atelier Van Lieshout is de
>   oprichting van AVL-Ville, 2001, een culturele vrijstaat in de haven
>   van Rotterdam, met een eigen grondwet en een eigen zelfvoorzienende
>   economie, met landbouw, medische zorg en een restaurant, maar ook een
>   werkplaats voor wapens - de vrijstaat had immers ook een leger nodig."
>
> That's located in Rotterdam-West, far from being remote.

whilst you are right in so far as a TAZ/PAZ can be created anywhere, the
devil is in the detail; you're comparing two different cultures and
intents. there are other factors too - such as external tolerance. artist
vrijstaat/plaats are a known quantity in NL. hackercamps really arent.

nick's response starts to cover it; the remoteness adds to the camaraderie,
but its the vivid change-of-setting-for-a-week and deeply ephemeral nature
which really makes the thing shine.

(and then theres the cynical view that since some of the activities of our
culture are seen as negative, and its best to keep them away from the
limelight)