[Hacker-event-theory] turning feedback from ohm into learning points

Nick Farr nick at nickfarr.org
Sun Apr 6 00:36:22 CEST 2014

On Apr 5, 2014 4:53 PM, "Rejo Zenger" <rejo at zenger.nl> wrote:

> Wondering: why remote?

Because then it's just another conference where people come and go.

The camp is special partially because you're on the same field for a week
with everyone else. It's an equalizing factor in many ways.

> Not sure how to interpret your comment.

The teams exist from event to event and essentially emerge from CCC events.
Foxgate and politics led to many unnecessary teams and teams crippled by
lack of experience.

Don't reinvent the wheel.  There shouldn't be more teams than the camp has.

At the same time, it behooves all the .NL folk to bed themselves into as
much of the bureaucracy for the Congress and the camp as possible.

> >As far as reimbursement or other things, there should be a "finance help
> >desk" where people can submit something for reimbursement. They fill out
> >a form, tape their receipt to the back of it, and the help desk scans it
> >for the back office and hands it back to the requester.
> >
> >Once the back office approves the expense, they can pick up their cash
> >reimbursement at the ticket office in exchange for their receipt and
form.

> This not solves the problem I mentioned. The form that people have to
> fill in should be digital

If it was an office with printers and networks that always work and staff
that went through an orientation, I'd be prone to agree.

However, it's the camp. Go simple if you can. Trust me, it's way less work
(and better for the auditors) for the finance crew to enter the data from a
handwritten scan than to correct the guesswork of a someone who may have
never filled out a reimbursement request.

Also, the person now has a big sheet of paper and a receipt that's easier
to find in a tent filled with crap.

> And because of Foxgate, those volunteers didn't show up to do the
> cooking along with their Dutch peers?

Correct.  Cooking for volunteers is a special skill that Kamiwulf should
document.

> >DON'T CHANGE THE PROGRAM ONCE THE CAMP HAS STARTED.
>
> The festivals I have been involved (most notably, the International Film
> Festival of Rotterdam) always have some programm changes for a variety
> of reasons. You can't avoid that and you should be prepared -

Cancellations are inevitable.  Post a "sorry" sign and slot in some last
minute talk.

However, you should not do the epic rearranging that went on during OHM.

> >Aside from that, a whiteboard, chalkboard, magnet letter board or other
> >low-tech solution is perfect for each event space.  Don't waste power on
> >things people can look up on the wi-fi on their cell phone.
>
> Exactly. Although I presume one maintains the "master" program digitaly
> and it should be fairly easy to extract information for the public out
> of that (or provide some API to have others create something).

Yes, that's all handled by a system called frab the CCC built and keeps in
active development.

Nick