[hs-equality] Busy busy

stoupin at riseup.net stoupin at riseup.net
Mon Nov 19 22:57:30 CET 2012

Hi all,
This is Sophie from Montreal.

I am happy to report that we just launched "FouFem" on Saturday an
initiative that aims at encouraging (self-identify) women and
intersectional feminists to hack in a spirit of mutual aid and do it
together (DIT). There was a lot of energy and interest surrounding these
issues last Saturday and though we are still unsure of the ways in which
it will all materialise, one thing is for sure, "safe" or what some
describe as"power" spaces are needed. In a nutt shell, safe (or power)
spaces are based on the assumption that if we share some common values
whether explicit – through a “community agreement” or implicit through
shared values, the members of the group  will be able to flourish and
empower themselves.

Basically, what we are trying to answer is the question: how can a
hackspace be radically inclusive? We are trying to do this by addressing
questions of race, gender, sexual orientation, affect, among other in
hackspaces. It's an experiment where we are trying to make women an
intersectional feminists feel "safe" enough to participate fully in a
hackspace. Will see how it all goes.

If you can organise a panel/hackathon on intersectional feminism (or what
some also call a commitment to radical inclusivity) or intersectional
equality at 29c3 that would lead to an "equality agreement" or something
of the sort that would be amazing! I think bringing these issues to the
fore would be important.

All this to say that I really like the idea of organising a hackathon to
discuss these issues and come up with a gender (or why not a radical
inclusivity) agreement.

Though I doubt I will be coming to Berlin in between Christmas and New
Years Eve, I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Sophie