[hackerspaces] Firearms in Hackerspaces?

Michel Gallant sfxman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:54:31 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:

> I enjoy target shooting.  My mother uses a rifle regularly on
> woodchucks that create a hazard around her home.
>
> There are at least 2 non-killing human uses of a firearm right there.

Sure but you're not using your gun for that at the space.

> Let us not debate the ethics of fire arms.
>
> The question of why to have a fire arm in the space spans many issues.
>  As raised before some folks are required to carry a fire arm as part
> of their professional life.  That should not by itself immediately
> disenfranchise them in a community.

If they need them for work, they can use them for work. A member of the
armed forces is not going to be visiting a hackerspace while on duty. If a
cop is visiting a space while on duty you have much larger problems than
whether you are going to allow guns in.

> Some folks enjoy fire arms as a hobby.  Either in target shooting, or
> in hunting, or conceivably simply as an academic pursuit.  These folks
> would find the tools of a hackerspace useful to extend their hobby.
> And I suppose that could breed some conflict in a community as
> passions run high when discussing this issue.  Each space will know
> how to address that themselves.  I love the idea of requiring people
> working on fire arms to leave any ammunition at home.  There are also
> regional laws to take into consideration.

There are already open-access gun workshops where you can lathe your new
barrel or whatever.