[Finance] Introductions?

Jeff Cotten omegix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 07:07:39 CEST 2010

Hi, I'm Jeff, from Makers Local 256, a hackerspace in Huntsville, AL (US).

I was the association's first treasurer, and got to enjoy all the pitfalls
that came with being an amateur record keeper.  Brimstone (also on this
list) is our current treasurer, and has recently transitioned our record
keeping from a google docs spreadsheet to GNUCash.  He's much more
knowledgeable about that than I am, so I'm not the best person to ask about
the tool, but I'm learning :)

Makers Local is setup to run on member donations rather than dues.  New
members are asked to set their own monthly pledged amounts, and to make the
donation every month.  The hope that comes with having a set amount is that
we'll be able to budget.

My favorite part of the finances is discovering all the interesting charity
(501c3) tax laws, and I'm looking forward to sharing those as I come across
them.

I think the most frequent misconception I've encountered is how there's a
difference between a non-profit organization and an IRS recognized charity
in the US.  Many think it's the same thing, but unless you are recognized as
a 501c3 organization, donations are not tax deductible for the contributor.

So there's my introduction :)  Makers Local has had three treasurers so far,
Crashcart is the other one, I believe he is on the list as well.

~Omegix / Jeff
Makers Local 256