[hackerspaces-theory] ping

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Fri Dec 7 23:29:40 CET 2012

From: Andrew Schrock <aschrock at usc.edu>
Subject: Re: [hackerspaces-theory] ping
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:41:45 -0800

> That's a very exciting idea. Hackerspaces are already constantly self-publishing
> information as how-tos, presentations, image streams, blog posts and so on. It
> seems like a natural jump to put that information into a more formal document.

i think for most hackers/hackerspace participants it is too much
hassle to engage with formal science, which is deemed simply too slow
and top-down.  you know the joke that "real programmers don't write
documentation".  i would be happy if more of the cool stuff which
people make in hackerspaces would be at least documented. :)

from my framework of interpretation, such "refusal of a detour to
knowledge through representation" (Andrew Pickering's expression) is a
major characteristic of hackerspaces...

> To touch on Padraic's question -- to me, theory is about what makes hackerspaces
> work and why. There's a lot of ideas floating around in different fields, like
> education, sociology and business about why these community organizations &
> informal learning spaces are important. Also more popular writing like Chris
> Anderson's latest.

well said.  however, from the point of view of the social whole, i am
also interested in the critique inherent in the hacker practices.  the
example about science above is one.

maxigas, kiberpunk

--

 ⬢ ⬢  |metatron
⬢   ⬢ |research

FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614  0901 7879 63BC 287E D166