[sudoroom] Proposal to rent biohack room and fishbowl

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:32:51 CEST 2012

Hey all,

I understand people have different opinions about media recording and
editing spaces.

Let's step back a bit.

It seems to me we're trying to upgrade our current outfit (sub-ideal
space), but by no means should we settle completely and assume we will be
stuck with some particular infrastructure forever. We can grow, we can
adapt, we can move. And most importantly we need to learn to:

*collaborate and share with each other.*

I was *trying* to offer a *generalized framework* to think about the many
components each of us wants to see work in any space we form:

*Open working space,* *some fixed stations*, *accessible water/plumbing
fixtures*, and *accessible window(s)/air.*

Doesn't it make sense that we leave some freedom to try new things out, and
change our patterns as we work them out? Is there any reason to halt an
idea now before we know what would *actually* happen? Further, Jenny's
suggestion is really great. If folks are looking for a particular guarantee
of high sound insulation, they may want to go in on a small or remote space
in the building in question or elsewhere. But maybe, for all intents in
purposes, it could worked wrapped together with some others. By
experimenting, listening, and adapting we'll actually know, rather than
hypothesizing.

I'd also like to point you to this note about benefits in the Articles of
Association: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact
Section 2.3 Benefits

The following are benefits available to all members:

   - Usable assets and resources available within reasonable constraints of
   time and under the condition of sharing.
      - *sudo room* strives to make assets and resources available to as
      many non-member participants and beneficiaries as possible.
      - Note: no personal property should be stored in *sudo room* unless a
      system for personal storage can be provided by *sudo room*.
      - Note: the use of *sudo room* environments for habitation and/or
      domestic use is strongly discouraged unless designated by *sudo room*.

// Matt