[SpaceProgram] Bytemarks Cafe radio on SpaceGAMBIT

Lee von Kraus leevonk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:33:48 CEST 2012

I actually applied to have a "third party" experiment run during that
HI-SEAS experiment that's coming up.I never got a reply to the application
though. The experiment would have tested the use of hypnosis in being able
to positively influencing the participants enjoyment of the food on a daily
basis (some days would have been hypnotically suggested to be "good" food
days and some days would have been "normal" food days). The hypnotic
suggestions would have been delivered once every X amount of days via an
image (or some cue) delivered via laptop in the habitat. The cues would
have been 'implanted' into the participants in a pre-habitat hypnosis by a
trained hypnotist (with the suggestion to not consciously remember what the
cues meant).

While long term hypnotic effect on taste using a similar paradigm has
already been published in the scientific literature I thought it would be
cool to see if it could be applied in a long distance space travel context.
I still think it could work very well, but they were rightfully hesitant
about the kinds of experiments to be allowed on the participants, and also
the idea is not in the mainstream of science so I can understand if they
weren't that keen on it. One problem in actually applying it to space
travel would be that using traditional hypnotic techniques only a certain
percentage of the population is susceptible, but there are new techniques
being developed that are promising in being more effective on more people.

 Lee