[Spaceapi-devel] Specify a time zone for state.lastchange

Sebastian Mai bastinat0r at bastinat0r.de
Mon Jun 2 11:07:13 CEST 2014

For my Spacestatus App[1] I thought about times zones as well – it would be
neat to be able to compare different spaces as to whether they are more day- or
night active – and that wont work with locale time (currently I just use the
browser default).

> I noticed that the last change time is given on this site with a time
> zone. However, the SpaceAPI specs don't mention any time zone for the
> state.lastchange field. The site seems to interpret this value as UTC,
> which makes most sense to me; so we should probably also specify this
> field to be UTC.
Yes!

> One could argue that the endpoint's local time is a also valid time zone
> for this field, but for global evaluation there would be the additional
> need to know the local time zone as well, which probably changes more
> often than one might think.

Maybe there could be an optional(?) field for the timezone offset so apps are
able to use the correct local time in the next api-version.

Greetings
Basti

[1] http://spacestatus.bastinat0r.de