[Spaceapi-devel] Specify a time zone for state.lastchange

Roland Hieber lists at rohieb.name
Mon Jun 2 02:21:24 CEST 2014

Regarding the forwarded mail, attached below:

1)
Very nice application of the SpaceAPI!

2)
I noticed that the last change time is given on this site with a time
zone. However, the SpaceAPI specs don't mention any time zone for the
state.lastchange field. The site seems to interpret this value as UTC,
which makes most sense to me; so we should probably also specify this
field to be UTC.

One could argue that the endpoint's local time is a also valid time zone
for this field, but for global evaluation there would be the additional
need to know the local time zone as well, which probably changes more
often than one might think. Also the local communities probably know
best about their current time zone in relation to UTC. So in my opinion,
it is most reasonable to specify the state.lastchange field to be UTC.

Any opinions?

 - Roland