[Hackupy-discuss] Dovetail protester communications system

Joshua Marker joshua at nowhereville.org
Tue Jan 10 01:52:58 CET 2012

A a friend-of-a-friend contacted  me about a project she calls 'dovetail'. It's a peer-to-peer message transfer system designed to route messages without reliance on cell phone networks/etc - eg, when cities or governments shut them down to prevent protesters communicating. It uses adhoc wifi and bluetooth to flip messages around.

Good idea, I was surprised it didn't exist. They're raising money with a kickstarter to get it done - they're serious people, I think UN/etc NGO level stuff, but the idea of needing that much money to write this seemed absurd to me. It sounded like something Hackupy would do in a few evenings. I told her so. She's interested in talking to someone at NB/Hackupy/anyone about it. Anyone interested?

Details:

http://www.dovetailproject.org/

--
"I imagine I can last until the absinthe runs out; then, I'm afraid, I'll have to work." --HST