[foodhackingbase] recipes, wiki structure and other + water kefir and ginger beer plant

algoldor at foodhackingbase.org algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Sun Feb 23 16:17:18 CET 2014

Hi Ingo, Steffen, Daan and all,
first I coped Ingo's original message below I hope it is OK, great to
hear from you! We have just settled down at home in Jeju, so time to
start to "clean up and reorganize" the fhb happily together :-)

I've copied Daan who has been working on a "polished" version of our
original logo made by Lurwah, so we will see how it goes. Concerning the
structure of the wiki and categories, we definitely need subdivisions
and "tagging system", product description is must, again yes at least to
my opinion. At the moment I think Steffen and you were mostly thinking
and working on this, I know Steffen did recently a lots of work on the
wiki (I'm kind of loosing the count who did what, which is good I guess
:-)), so we can coordinate how to make it happen in reality. I'll make a
short wiki page about makgeolli which is traditional Korean rice
alcoholic beverage, upload it to the wiki, manual form is already there
in I think proper section (Steffen was taking care about that) and lets
play with that as an example how to link it, tag it etc. that may be the
simplest way after that we can apply it to the rest keeping to some
"structure", what do you think? If you have a look here

http://www.wildfermentation.com/forum/

I would like to have something like that in the future, I posted about
that before and I hope to talk about this in detail with Greg from
California, especially how hard would it be to use the "forum system"
which he created and is open source, example is here

http://design.arkreactor.com/

or we can go for some alternative, does anyone know about any preferably
open source?

Personally I have an idea/vision of what I would like to see being used
at our portals but making it happen is generally over my reach and I do
not want people to get burned with work load - Steffen did a lots of
work lately, plus we are now finishing the transfer of our
foodhackingbase.org domain to Gandi, he is also now progressing on
creation of dedicated mailing list for the experimental incubator
project - it is related to the transfer. As you can see quite a bit of
activity :-)

So keep in touch, we will wait for Daan and his updates on the logo,
I'll prepare and upload info about makgeolli so we can develop the
tagging system etc based on that as an example and lets see about the
forum thing, it may be too early for that from the installation and
admin load of work but sooner or later it would be lovely - few people
already mentioned how neat it would be to use Google +, Twitter or
whatever other profiles to log in directly.

By the way before I run away we need as a group to talk about how to
properly cultivate the ginger beer plant and water kefir biofilm
polycultures. I'll take out my cultures which I brought from Europe from
the fridge tomorrow feeding it with light brown sugar and black tea,
measuring the weight and taking pictures of the grains and uploading the
data. Several people who I know are having problems to make their
cultures increase their "weight" or biological matter and some of the
people are experiencing problems with fermentation - it takes too long
and doesn't ferment the sugar too well so it tastes even after weeks of
fermentation at room temperature (lets say 20C) as a sugary water - I
had same problems before I left for Europe but few years ago my culture
was growing great, now it was no the case. Generally 2-3 days of
fermentation and you have lovely brew, that was definitely the case with
the culture which I got in Mexico in Chiapas. May be an idea to get it
from there again, I've never seen such a big grains and it was producing
very tasty ferment really fast!

Well that would be I would say quick answer and bit of work for myself
and lets see what the others are up to :-)

Talk to you all soon,

Sincerely from Jeju (finally),

Frantisek

PS And yes I'm transferring to the new email
algoldor at foodhackingbase.org which Steffen created for me and I guess
for anyone else who would like to get it :-) People who have admin
rights have access, so just that you know, it is fine with me (yes I'm
one of them so I can sneak on my emails if I like, what a pleasure:-)).

Message from Ingo:

Hey. What about the logo you used at the crowd funding. Can we use it
for the wiki?

I talked about the idea of bringing people closer to the biological
principles of fermentation. What do you think of a category called
Category:Fermentation with two subcategories.
Category:Fermentation:Alcoholic and Category:Fermentation:LacticAcid. We
could tag every recipee with it and everynone who is interested can have
a look at it and understands the principles what is going on.

And for the recipees. We could make a site for everyhting we have in the
recipees. e.g. Makgeolli. I just saw the recipee but I didn't know what
it is.

So one page describing the "product" would be a good idea