[Foodhacking_at_camp] updates - running water, septic tank

Tobias Rosenstock jeedi at c-base.org
Fri Jul 29 21:00:48 CEST 2011

 On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:53:49 -0400, Nick Farr wrote:
>> General questions
>> -----------------------
>> - Is the running water consumable/drinkable? Or do I need to plan
>> bringing some drinking water to prepare my dishes (i.e. the Müsli
>> wheat must be watered for a few hours)?
>
> Jeedi would be the best person to answer this question.  It is deep
> well water, so it should be fine if not a bit hard.  Does hard water
> affect the wheat negatively?

 as far as i know, it's considered drinkable by the local authorities.
 if that's not enough, bottled spring water costs less than 20 cents per
 liter at the closest supermarket. how many pallets do you need?

>> Breakfast
>> ------------
>> - At what time should breakfast start?
>
> I would say 09:00h, but we should have some things out for earlier
> risers.  This time should probably shift as the camp progresses, as
> people will stay up later and later each day.

 easy. check the sunrise/sunset times, add ~30 minutes for the tents to
 become unbearably hot, have breakfast ready at that time ;)

>> - Serving : As the Müsli should be served in a bowl of some kind, it
>> would be great if we had some of those as well.

 we will have enough reusable hard-plastic bowls, plates and utensils.

 also, i will not buy any glass items that can't be reasonably replaced
 with less breakage-prone material.
 i don't want my daughter (or anyone else, for that matter) to suffer a
 cut on her foot because some stoned and/or dehydrated basement-dwelling
 nerd dropped his muesli bowl. end of message.

> Do we need to get a separate mixing bowl, or could we use the chafing
> dishes for the regular mealtime (of course, without heating them...)

 giant plastic bowls (5 liters and up) can be had for as low as 1.49 EU$

 if you want to use the chafing dishes, fine with me - coordinate that
 with frantisek.

>> -The fruits and Müsli should be prepared in a matter of _cold_
>> buffet, so the main Müsli mix in the middle, fresh fruit surrounding
>> the latter. As such, people can take the fruits they like best and cut
>> them into their bowls. In that way, we won't  unnecessarily waste lots
>> of fruits and they can be represented the following day(s).

 we will also have about half a dozen hard-plastic cutting boards and
 enough sharp knives in different sizes to defend ourselves against a
 whole army of anthropomorphic fruit.

>> _cold_ meaning that it would rock if we had some ice or cooling
>> buffet there...I'm not sure about the weather in Berlin, but it
>> certainly promises to be hot in August.
> Putting ice in the chafing dishes instead of hot water makes them
> very, very cold for a reasonably long period of time.

 then there's still the friggin INSECT INVASION that's going to happen
 if people don't close the lids on any of those bowls/dishes with cut
 fruit.

> However, there's the problem of getting ice in Germany....

 we do have a freezer, nick. also, supermarkets and gas stations sell
 ice cubes and crushed ice. this is not backasswardsistan, dude.
 oh, and if you need dry ice, let me know. that's still a little hard to
 get.

>> -> Oh, another maybe important question : Is there a rice-cooker at
>> the foodhacking tents?

 no, since i asked you, and you said that you'd bring your own. i have
 neither checked prices nor listed a rice cooker in my equipment budget
 planning.

>> And if not, I might be taking one form my own...it's simpler to
>> prepare the rice in one of those.

 yes, please bring your own if you think it'll cook enough rice fast
 enough. if it doesn't, let me know your preferred make, model, and an
 approximate price ASAP.

> It all depends on some cash flow issues on the HoaP end.  If someone
> is willing to buy an industrial size rice cooker after camp, then I
> will buy it.

 i agree with nick. promising to buy the cooker off of us after camp
 will greatly improve your chances of having a rice cooker provided by us
 ;)

  -j.