[foodhacking] [Discussion] cold room build up project

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 23:46:42 CEST 2013

Hi to all,
Well I think that the hexayurt option is feasible, however many  thanks for the wide variety of ideas :-)

I have got more info on hexayurt and especially insulation material from a friend who is based in Amsterdam, edited excerpt is below.

>>>At BurningMan they made them out of insulation-panels that are sold at DIY-stores for putting in between the hollow walls typically used in construction of houses in america. The same panels exist here in .nl too; but are used to insulate below a roof. They are definately NOT 15CM thick... let alone 20CM (that's insanely thick; not even commercial cooling-cells get made with styrofoam that thick!.. In fact; they're made with these types of insulation-panels ;)

>> The 'isolatie-plaat' they used also at Burningman have a cover of plastic/something on either side that protects the brittle inside (polyurethane) from being damaged by impacts, etc. It ALSO makes it very easy to use airconditioner-tape (thin silver tape used to seal seams in airco-ducts) to put all the stuff together. I am still looking for prices...

>> On the 'thick styrofoam' side of things, (EPS, tempex), i can see stuff of up to 140mm here on Marktplaats.. sheet of up to 2000mmx1200mm at E7.52 excluding tax.

So now I wonder what model/size of hexayurt would cover 10 square meters of usable floor space, how much and what type of material it would need, ideas about costs would be great. I will try to do bit of studying today but it would be definitively good to hear advice or/and have around someone who actually did build hexayurt which is not my case ...

Still looking for the air-condition unit and someone to "safely hack it" so it cools down to 4-6C for the OHM event.

Sincerely,

FAA

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker