[Finance] rents, membership fees?

Koen Martens gmc at metro.cx
Mon May 9 14:34:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 01:43:36PM +0300, Kaarel Jõgi wrote:
> We are starting a new hackerspace, first of its kind in Estonia afaik.
> There are couple others on the list but they are commercial places while we
> are trying to build this one by community for community.
>
> We have found a unused cellar space at very good location, center of town.
> It is 80m2, in somewhat broken condition but nothing unfixable with some
> professional help.  Rent would be 240€/month.
>
> Basicly now it is the matter of whether we can afford it.  If some of you
> have time, it would be nice to get some overview about how the rent is in
> other places..  so if you can tell:

It's just basic math! What will the rent be, what extra costs will you have (such
as power, heating, internet, taxes, redecorating, etc..) and how many members are
you aiming for. From that, calculate how much each member would need to pay minimally
to make ends meet each month. Add a little extra to build up a buffer for unforeseen
expenses and planned improvements.

What you see often is that a small group of 'founding members' initially invests
a bit more than normal membership dues to get the space rolling and survive financially
the first months.

> location:

The Hague, NL.

> floor area of space:

400 m^2

> rent:

EUR 150,- (actuall, no rent, the 150 euros is for energy, which might not suffice
once they calculate the actual usage)

> number of members:

42

> membership fee:

EUR 25 / month

> That would help us to make some good decisions i hope :)

Good luck on that and have some fun setting up a space!

- - gmc

- --
http://www.sonologic.nl/
http://koenmartens.nl/