[Finance] rents, membership fees?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon May 9 15:53:37 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 01:43:36PM +0300, Kaarel Jõgi wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> We are starting a new hackerspace, first of its kind in Estonia afaik.
> There are couple others on the list but they are commercial places while we
> are trying to build this one by community for community.
>
> We have found a unused cellar space at very good location, center of town.
> It is 80m2, in somewhat broken condition but nothing unfixable with some
> professional help.  Rent would be 240€/month.

I think that sounds as a pretty good deal! Don't forget to also think
about costs of services, heating, electricity.

In the end, it boils down to how many members you have. In next months,
you'll get some, but also lose some (usually for lack of time), so be
careful about projecting growth. Then, you have two variables - cost of
the space and membership fees. Optimize. :)

> Basicly now it is the matter of whether we can afford it.  If some of you
> have time, it would be nice to get some overview about how the rent is in
> other places..  so if you can tell:
>
> location:

Prague, Czech Republic

> floor area of space:

100m2

> rent:

200EUR rent + 100EUR services (including fixed price for energies)

> number of members:

~30; when we rented the space half a year ago, we had under 20

> membership fee:

EUR20, halved for students.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis