[hs-equality] [Equality] [pylon at hackerspaces.org: Re: Queer Geeks]

fabienne fabienne at fabienne.us
Sun Sep 25 10:02:47 CEST 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We don't need a whole track, but maybe it would be cool to have a panel on
> queer geeks at 28C3?  Perhaps the same folks as were on the radio show?
>
> Even if there is no "official" space in 28C3 for this panel, we can create
> one and publicize it.
>
> From the responses we've been getting, there's obviously interest.

I think having a panel at 28C3 is a great idea. I would love to make a
few things maybe slightly out-of-bounds (aka it would be great if
these weren't discussed on the panel):

- women in hacking ("zomg you're the only girl!" is really annoying
and frankly untrue)
- having kids (way off topic)
- feminism (this is one that is hard to separate from a lot of
female-driven queer culture, maybe just try to focus more on queer
stuff than gender stuff)

By just happening, this panel could make a lot of people feel welcome
and comfortable to be themselves.

cheers,
fabienne