[hackerspaces] Lockers in a hackerspace?

Nate Bezanson myself at telcodata.us
Fri Oct 5 01:35:33 CEST 2018

At i3Detroit in Michigan, we have both shelves and lockers. Here are my
thoughts:

The shelves are a catastrophe. We wanted to give people more flexibility
than totes, but it turns out not everyone is clean and responsible, and
there's detritus everywhere and organizational logjam about getting rid
of what might be someone's precious piece of dusty scrap lumber. In
retrospect, we should've required totes.

The lockers are either almost ignored or so nicely used they don't look
used. I have one and it works great for my needs, and nobody puts locks
on 'em. The nature of lockers means they can't get messy like shelves,
and it's great.

We weren't initially super clear about the expectation that storage
wasn't for long-term abandonment of stuff. It seemed obvious, hah! And
we've had crap luck with the "If you're not here regularly, your stuff
shouldn't be here either" mantra. I've been utterly fascinated to
discover that Artisan's Asylum flips this statement: "As per our
Policies & Procedures, presence is a requirement. Activity is what makes
our space vibrant." So, if your stuff is here, you should be here.
Interesting!

MakerWorks out in Ann Arbor has a really interesting model: They charge
for storage, and the rate increases if you're not around using your
stuff. A staff member comes by and clips a clothespin onto each storage
space once per (week or month?), and counts the accumulated pins.
Whenever you use your stuff, you remove the clothespins and reset your
count to zero. So, an active space will have zero or one, and pays the
lowest rate. If you're away for a while, your pins start building up,
and your (weekly or monthly?) rate goes up. Accumulate 5 pins and you're
paying insane rates and that makes it okay that you're abusing the
storage. It's pretty neat, if you have staff who can implement something
like that.

We at i3 don't charge for storage, although I've recently floated the
idea that we should, but not in money: The only way to "buy" storage
would be in volunteer hours. Maybe there'd be a maximum positive balance
you could accrue, too. That would solve the presence problem and several
others, maybe. If we try it I'll let you know how it goes!

-Nate B-