[hackerspaces] The world needs makerspaces?

idnc_sk at vpslab.org idnc_sk at vpslab.org
Thu Nov 16 06:36:30 CET 2017

Well, building a "kinder-garden for grown ups" business can get tough I
guess.

Should not every* business start by trying to solve other peoples
problems? Ommiting a few(funny I should say) anecdotes, open a hw repair
shop and gradually add-up on "opennes" and "self-help" tools.

When a 1700EUR 4K TV stops working 2 weeks after the varranty is over
because of a notoriously flawed power circuit design, you can easily
charge 150+ EUR for a repair and still end up with a happy customer -
that's for 20-80c on capacitors and maybe 30min of your time.

I'd say use a business model that already works, get your
cash-flow/finances/processes sorted and gradually grow into the
"pure-er" makerspace roam. A few examples:
HW Repair shops
(power)Tool rentals, esp. building and carpentry
Workspace rentals(carpentry)
Coworking (IT)
Car diagnostic

Those are - deppending on the location aot - known to produce a net
income even if not managed very good.
Once you have your survival-infrastructure set up, you may gradually add
a small coffee-space on the side, workshops, lectures, even "cloud"
services - whatever your area/customers/member-base is able and willing
to finance - but the income-producing core will stay unaffected even if
your makerspace coffee-corner idea turns out to be a black hole for money.

The hw rep. shop example was chosen because that's the kind of business
that already requires most of the tools one would need to run a
small-ish makerspace. It's not the only one, hell even small farmer
shops could grow into a type of diy farming makerspace, my point is, you
have to have a running business first.

@non-profit models: Strongly deppends on your country / legislature. In
general, eu has not as many strings attached as the us - but you may
still end up in a situation where it's "sell your soul to the devil" or
close the doors .. have to be careful with anything that deppends on
donations(whether state, corporate or private)

idnc_sk

Dňa 11/15/2017 o 9:43 PM Tarek Ahmed napísal(a):