[hackerspaces] Invitation (was Fwd: Re: Black Highlighter + Important PS)

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue Jul 11 22:29:05 CEST 2017

The world is big.  Lots of people pulling a lot of directions.  You jump in
and it's like swimming in the ocean.  Strong currents will divert you.  But
you don't get anywhere without hopping in.  So seeing some of the currents
( all any of us are equipped to see ) shouldn't dissuade folks from wading
in.

You have a view of this big ocean of politics and other constraints.  Try
swimming in it.  See what happens to your view.

-Matt

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:26 PM, idnc_sk <idnc_sk at vpslab.org> wrote:

> [...]
> out of the way.
>

> *#6 There is so much historical details missing that would change your
> viewpoint(s), that it does** not even make sense to start addressing this
> point*
>
> I am down with people calling out the US for it's mistakes.  It's a
> fundamental tenant of a free society.  Enshrined in the magna carta.  But,
> if you want to just say shit could be better... well that's not
> constructive.  Go make it better.  Cecilia is trying to make shit better.
>
> *#7 **No, she might be thinking that she does*
>
>   You are just shitting all over that.  You've provided no better
> alternative.  That's not constructive.  It's just flame bait man.
> You have some solid concerns... but I don't see you following them up with
> a solution.  And frankly... at some level, all activism requires an above
> board legal frameworked interaction with the world... otherwise they end up
> like the palestinian liberation movement, trapped by their own extremists
> incapable of any meaningful traction, forever the victim of a nation with a
> better political and public outreach.
>
> *#8 **This is a slippery slope, a land mine, some of your presumptions
> are incorrect*
> * but I won't go there, sry.*
>
> Sure sometimes they need their own backchannels and clandestine
> components.  But they need the above board shit just as badly.
>
> Change is dangerous.  Always has been.  Always will be.  But our little
> nation of fuckups have proven that fucking up is definitely better than
> hoping shit gets better and not fucking up.
>
> *#9 Whatever you might be thinking of me or my opinions, we are sitting in
> the same*
> * boat, except with different propaganda bubbles build around us. *
>
> * Had to truncate the email because of *
>

> *"Message body is too big: 56391 bytes with a limit of 40 KB" *
>

> -Matt
>
> fuckups for the win.
>

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:16 PM, idnc_sk <idnc_sk at vpslab.org> wrote:
>
>> :)
>>
>> I'd like to point that it was the US military who actively removed almost
>> every single
>> democratically elected leader in south america, africa and partly in asia
>> whenever their
>> pro-people "ideology" interfered with corporate interests. Not "US"
>> interests, not with
>> the interests of "US" citizens, with corporate interests.
>>
>> [Harold Pinter on US foreign policy]
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvLfSSR1d4
>>
>> On 07/11/2017 06:09 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to point out it was the US military that basically built the
>> internet.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM, idnc_sk <idnc_sk at vpslab.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I would definitely dial that enthusiasm down a little. Anyone who cared
>>> to check
>>> knows how important of a role Stanford plays as an arm of the military
>>> complex. Regardless of how many "transformations" LTT (claims to have)