[hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen at gaeremyn.be
Fri Jul 7 10:34:53 CEST 2017

Could you please start a separate thread on how to shoot other people in
the leg? ;)

I experienced this question to the list as a perfect example on
non-censorship: these persons are considering to clean up the wiki, and
are asking for pointers.

Ever had a discussion about stockpiling in your hackerspace? did you
also have 2 camps? I can imagine the same would happen if you talk about
cleaning up the wiki).

To get back on topic...

I think an important part of the question isn't in there: what's the
reason you want to clean up the wiki? I've heard "feature bloat" as the
best attempt to answering. So you want to keep the wiki on topic about
what a hackerspace is about. The nice thing about a wiki is that it
grows organic in the way the members mold it...

Obviously, if bloat is an issue... the next question is how does this
bloat manifest? I mean, a Wiki is inherently a site that has a lot of
information and can quickly grow. Is it bloated because a lot of pages
have 0 visitors per year? Or because you have a lot of unmaintained
pages? What's the set of criteria to decide that a page is unrelated?
What's the scope of "hackerspaces.org" and what exceeds it?

So one thing you could do, is require hackerspace membership to be able
to alter it. Or you could federate it and have elaborate local topics to
be visited on the wiki or website of that local hackerspace. Having
outbound links would be nice to interconnect to different sites and not
have to duplicate content (but is has the risk of having dead links or
even loss of information if some site goes down).

Then there's an easy litmus test: if the local hackerspace doesn't want
it on their pages... it also doesn't belong on the one of hackerspaces.org

I love the suggestion to be excellent to each other.
(oh, and if you smell chicken, you're holding the wrong side of your
soldering iron)

Grtz,
Jurgen