[hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Wed Apr 5 22:40:19 CEST 2017

The original list is fairly comprehensive. That being said, documentation is always good to have and often overlooked. Workshop signage can go a long way to empowering people to work on their own.

A good fraction to decimal chart (1/32” steps through 1”)
Drill & tapping chart (including both imperial and metric)
Oiling charts for machine tools (lathes, mills, etc)
For lathes, things like cutting tool grinding references, etc.

If you keep machine manuals on your wiki, a sign explaining this can make life easier when something breaks (like a bandsaw blade). Include both a QR code and a tiny url for the smart-phone-impaired.

Laminated signs with overviews on how to use more complex tools (welders, machine tools, laser cutter, etc). This is not a substitute for training on a machine, but years after taking a class someone can get back in the saddle with this kind of documentation posted. Just knowing what gas flow setting to use as a starting point on a welder can make a huge difference to someone who just wants to use the mig machine once a year. Some might make the argument that if someone doesn’t know this off-hand they shouldn’t use the tool. But then the only people using the tool will be the person who brought it in and maby 1 person who did a big project with it. And in that case why keep it in the space?

For a workshop that gets rearranged often and/or a place where walls are covered in tools, I find that using foam-core board/poster board is very helpful. Tape your posters to this rather than attaching them directly to the wall. Also, it’s easier to pull the posters down close for reference charts and such. You can also wrap the board in plastic wrap or put the papers in plastic paper protectors to keep them from getting as messed up/greasy over time. It’s not like we can’t print more, but no one ever does so make them last as long as possible.

http://bloominglabs.org/index.php/Category:Signage

Thanks,
-dosman