[hackerspaces] Alcohol policies?

Rachel Uwa info at schoolofma.org
Mon Mar 30 23:10:02 CEST 2015

hi David,

here in Berlin the fablab has drinks including beer for sale. but there are
member fees and people pay to use equipment so there isn't generally a
problem that anyone oversteps bounds or just hangs out and gets drunk
without being there to work on something. also at C-Base here in Berlin,
same thing i think.

does your space have a code of conduct? that could be useful to write-up if
not, so everyone knows the rules of things and can make responsible
decisions. :)

cheers,rachel

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Dave <tallycast at gmail.com> wrote:

> We're currently looking at alcohol use in the space.  There are some
> members who think it's a really bad idea (drunks and power tools) while
> others think it's a matter of personal responsibility.
>
> We also have been hosting occasional "reception" events for various
> organizations as a way of increasing visibility and recruiting members.
> Beer and wine are served at those events, but the breakers to the tools are
> turned off.
>
> I'm wondering if other spaces have considered alcohol use, and how that's
> worked out?
>
> Cheers,
> David

*Founder / School of Machines, Making & Make-Believe  |   *
http://schoolofma.org/