[hackerspaces] Sex Offenders at a 'Space

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Feb 18 08:31:34 CET 2015

Mistakes I've never made...
   molested a child.
   murdered a bus full of nuns.
   genocidal massacre of an indigenous population.

I mean there are mistakes and then there are 'mistakes'.  Let he without
sin cast the first stone is all well and good as a defense when you are
attempting to equate your crimes with the banality of the average evil.  It
loses some of it's value if your crimes are bit more above average, in the
heinous department.  The crime referenced here does seem to set itself
apart, as anomalously bad.

Anyways,

At our space we have a guiding principle when it comes to proposing folks
for potential membership.  You have to ask yourself 'Would I trust this
person with the keys to my home?'  If you can honestly answer yes.  Propose
the member.  Vote.  Live with the consequences.  And that may seem extreme
to you.  But, a hackerspace is a place where we share time, share
resources, share food, share a financial burden and a risk in all of the
above and more.  Way I see it, there's no difference at all.

Pretty simple.

-Matt