[hackerspaces] Sex Offenders at a 'Space

ITechGeek itg at itechgeek.com
Wed Feb 18 08:04:59 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:43 AM, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:

> I personally think refusing entrance based on a sole offence 7 years ago
> is an overreaction. Quite possibly you have other members who have
> committed thefts or crimes of violence in the last 7 years, but they are
> not required to inform you.

We have very little information about the exact situation, but from what is
provided the only thing that would be concerning is if the guy had showed
that he was trying to groom her.  If the parole officer said touched that
implies that his crime wasn't violent, but if he had been working towards
grooming the victim, that could be a symptom of a predatory nature.

I think the offender should be offered the chance to air his case in front
of the membership and let the membership as a whole decide if he can be a
member, a member w/ certain restrictions (like can't be in space during any
event geared towards children/teens), or can't be a member,  Since the
parole officer reached out to you, you can probably ask him to verify what
of the offender's statements are supported from the legal case.

-ITG (ITechGeek)
ITG at ITechGeek.Com
https://itg.nu/
GPG Keys: https://itg.nu/contact/gpg-key
Preferred GPG Key: Fingerprint: AB46B7E363DA7E04ABFA57852AA9910A DCB1191A
Google Voice: +1-703-493-0128 / Twitter: ITechGeek / Facebook:
http://fb.me/Jbwa.Net