[hackerspaces] [ SPAM 4.8 ] Re: Laser Cutter Fires?

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:47:39 CEST 2015

Regarding fire extinguishers:

1. I recommend paying a viisit to the nearest shop that services them.
You will find that the extinguishers sold by "Big Box" stores like
Home Depot are basically disposable. For about 2X the money, you can
get a commercial-grade extinguisher that only costs a few dollars to
have overhauled every year. The yearly servicing is also a requirement
in many commercial zones, and spending more up-front will save you
money after a year or two.

2. Those places often have refurbished ones that are about half price
of new. Also, once you know what brands they service in your area
(i.e. Badger, Amerex) you can look out for more at garage sales and
swap meets. Getting them serviced doesn't cost very much, and pretty
soon, you'll have one for every major room.

3. We require that the large extinguisher and a spotter be present
whenever someone welds on a vehicle. For the laser, it needs to have
one nearby and have someone keeping an eye on it. You just can't go
out to lunch and leave it cutting.

Arclight