[hackerspaces] Improve hackerspace diversity - Donate to Ada Initiative

Kristin-Leigh Brezinski okrysmastree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 23:13:22 CEST 2014

What was annoying about the Defcon penalty cards? I saw them as a clever
way to bring attention to conference harassment issues and give people a
low-stakes, humorous way to flag bad behavior.

Re: Violet Blue, I think the whole thing got blown out of proportion, but
really, who thought a talk titled "sex +/- drugs: *known vulns and exploits*"
wouldn't raise red flags to a lot of women(/people in general)? Anyone who
considers themselves enough of a wordsmith to play on puns like that should
be open to criticism of the double-meanings in the terms they're invoking.

AI isn't the only organization working on this stuff, but I very much
appreciate any organization striving to make solid anti-harassment policies
and codes of conduct a default at professional conferences, fan
conventions, and hacker/makerspaces. Thanks for the post, Liz - I'll
definitely keep this in mind when I evaluate the flexibility of my budgets
end of month. :)

- Kristin-Leigh