[hackerspaces] Fwd: Vaping in Spaces?

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:54:58 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM, John Q. Hacker <dreamingforward at gmail.com>
wrote:

> yet you've put unrestrained confidence in science
> and evolution as Truth, yes?

I wouldn't say I have unrestrained confidence in anything.

That said, to the original poster's question, we don't have to decide
whether vaping is inherently good or bad, just what level of policy a
hackerspace should have regarding it. My intuition is putting the danger of
moderate vaping somewhere between breathing solder fumes and drinking diet
coke, which is bad enough that I don't want to do it myself, but not so bad
that I'll slap it out of someone's hands. I'm a proponent of "no new rules
unless absolutely necessary", and I think that any existing "respect your
fellow members" policies should adequately cover disagreements about vaping
indoors. Of course if people refuse to play nicely, or there are specific
local laws you have to follow, then you may need to get more specific.

-Sam