[hackerspaces] Members under 18

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Fri Nov 7 02:27:40 CET 2014

At a former space of mine, we came to the conclusion that:

* Everyone who walked in the door had to sign a liability waiver
* If you were under 18, your legal parent/guardian had to sign that they were
responsible for you and would always be present whenever in the space

We consulted a lawyer and they said it was legally sound, just as long as the
parent was in the space. There was a lot of arguing/discussion about whether
or not we should bend the rules for one or two youngsters who had been allowed
to roam free in the space prior to the decision, but once we brought up the
"If we get sued we're all totally fucked and its really just Not Excellent to
cause us all to be totally fucked" argument, it was settled pretty quickly.