[hackerspaces] Members under 18

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:27:33 CET 2014

One point is that if you have dangerous equipment, like we do at
crashspace, members may have to sign waivers or insurance agreements so you
can keep your policy. minors cannot do so, unless you have parental waivers
as well, so it means you need a little more paperwork and at least one
conversation with guardians.

As far as legal issues, you do have some additional vulnerability to things
that only apply to minors, like Felony Child Endangerment and the like. So
if the kid gets hurt, the difference between an 18 year old and 17 year old
is pretty big. Particularly if the parents aren't 100% on what a
hackerspace is, the other members currently present could be considered
'responsible' for the minor member, which can be uncomfortable for both
parties.

Eventually these and other issues ended up inspiring some crashspace
members and other LA friends to spin off LA Makerspace, which was
specifically focused on providing a framework for minors. different
insurance, responsible staff, hours, all that stuff parents like.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our space is currently in a discussion about allowing people under 18 (16
> & 17 year olds) to become members.
>
> We've got some people who are against it because it would "ruin" their
> favorite hangout space, or make them uncomfortable in some way.
>
> We've got some people who are convinced that the legal/insurance aspects
> will cause us to lose our insurance policy and have to shut down.
>
> We have some that think that while we can trust an 18 year old, a 17 year
> old is in no way to be trusted and will do completely stupid shit.
>
> We've even discussed specific rules for 16 & 17 year olds, which would be
> much more limiting than members 18 or older. (They would need to have a
> family member as a member, not be allowed in the space without the family
> member that is a member, etc.)
>
> Anyway, I'm sure there are spaces that allow people under 18 to be
> members, or guests that can use equipment, etc. and I'm looking for real
> cases especially if you've got an insurance policy that addresses minors.
>
> thanks!
>

> Pete

Justin Corwin
outlawpoet at gmail.com