[hackerspaces] Question for US hackerspaces: local taxes on assets?

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Fri May 16 22:19:59 CEST 2014

The tax you're referring to is called "personal property tax" and depends
on which State and county you live in.

At i3 Detroit we gave the assessor a tour of the space so she could
understand what exactly we were.  We were still waiting to hear back on our
501c3 status at the time, but when she realized that a lot of our equipment
was refurbished, custom-built, and owned by members, she gave us a
non-profit exemption anyway.

One word of caution.  If any members run businesses out of the space, or
are compensated for letting the space use their equipment, they could be
considered personally liable for taxes on equipment they own.

-Ed

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Mars Saxman <mars at redecho.org> wrote:

> On 2014-05-16 12:41, dosman wrote:
>
>> I was just curious how other spaces have
>> handled this? I know this will vary from state to state, I'm just
>> curious more than anything.
>>

> In Seattle, ALTSpace refuses to take possession of any assets whatsoever.
> The LLC rents a space, and ALTSpace members use that space to store and use
> their tools, which they share with each other in various ways. Some of the
> more expensive tools are owned by groups of members who contributed to the
> purchase cost.
>
> Also, we're a non-profit, so they don't really care.

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com
http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt
http://i3detroit.com