[hackerspaces] Question for US hackerspaces: local taxes on assets?

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Fri May 16 22:27:31 CEST 2014

That's interesting. So you have both an LLC and a non-profit entity you use? (we debated keeping our LLC around for a while after we became a non-profit, but then opted to close it due to the overhead of maintaining it). While 90% of our stuff is member owned, we use our non-profit status to accept tax-deductible donations which means that stuff is owned by the non-profit. Also buying things tax-free for the space means that the non-profit owns it, not a member. While we've tried to keep assets owned by the space to a minimum, tax deductible donations has proven to be a good driver of tools and supplies for the space.

Thanks for you input,
-dosman