[hackerspaces] digest (Chris Weiss)

Chris Egeland chris at chrisegeland.com
Tue Jan 28 22:33:46 CET 2014

The problem with digest mode comes when a large thread has everyone
replying inline with all of the previous emails included.  We ran into
this issue with SYN/HAK's mailing list.  Eventually, after X amount of
replies, if everyone keeps just hitting the "reply" button and adding
their comments, the digest goes out after every single email.

The reason for this is because mailman works under the principle of
buckets for digests.  You fill the bucket, the digest gets sent out.
The bucket is set to 20KB normally, and a thread with a good 15-20
replies could easily trigger that with each email.  We increased the
bucket size to 120KB and haven't heard any issues from people lately.

Regards,
Chris Egeland