[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Sun Jan 26 14:44:05 CET 2014

On 26/01/2014 13:57, Brendan Halliday wrote:
> Safe Space Policy is a fairly common term in most of the circles I'm
> involved in so I probably should've quantified it.

It's not that I'm completely unfamiliar with the notion, just that I
didn't want my or other preconceptions about those cloud our judgement
of your question.

Anyway, RevSpace has this:

https://revspace.nl/Guidelines

Personally, I don't think that having more specific rules than "be
excellent to each other" necessarily contribute to that. If someone
needs to be explained what that means on a regular basis (we all have
our blind spots, empathy is not always a given etc.) then a hackerspace
may not be the place to be for that person.

Recently I put a blog post on hackerspaces.org on the subject:

http://blog.hackerspaces.org/2014/01/19/diversity-and-the-hacker-scene/

Ultimately it's the results that count. That said, there's something to
be said to at least strive to live up to the hacker ethic that knowledge
and information should be accessible to anyone. Anywhere. Anytime. Not
just in hackerspaces (who fail miserably on that metric BTW, including
ours).

Regards,

 Walter