[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Glyn Kennington glyn at potatojunkie.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 15:27:44 CET 2014

Brendan Halliday wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if any other spaces on the list have had difficulty
> > > implementing a Safe Space Policy.

I've been in some of the meetings of a recently-started hackspace when this was
under discussion.  (And it's likely that other people who were present are also
reading this - if I'm misrepresenting anyone, can we please not thrash it out
on this list?)

Yes, we had difficulties.  We looked over various existing policies/codes used
by other groups, and the objections ranged from the wording of individual items
right up to the very purpose of the policy.  We concluded that none of them
were quite right and we should make our own, rather than starting with someone
else's and adjusting it to fit - and we've not actually done that yet.

> TLDR, it's a commitment to ensuring events/groups don't remain a white male
> sausagefest by making sure that discrimination/oppression is clearly
> handled/not accepted and that disadvantaged people are empowered.

As this usually includes calling out oppressive language, it's worth noting
that the term "sausagefest", while a snappy way of summarising the problem, is
cissexist.

Glyn