[hackerspaces] Discuss Digest, Vol 76, Issue 5

Randall Arnold randall.arnold at texrat.net
Mon Dec 8 23:45:41 CET 2014

Sounds good, and I didn't mean to say that your potluck idea was a bad one at
all, just that I also liked that some restaurants are willing to do all the hard
work and still donate to you ;)

And you're right on target with the need for social events of some sort.
 Forgetting that can kill a community-based org.

There are so many ways to raise funds that it used to just fry my mind when I
would hear someone on the board of our now-defunct maker foundation say "we
don't have a way to make any money"-- while the nonprofit my brother worked with
would rake in ~$5000 in one weekend with a bowlathon and silent auction.

And yes, there's a very good reason Tarrant Makers went bust, and the
fundraising anecdote provides a big hint as to why.

Randy