[hackerspaces] Discuss Digest, Vol 76, Issue 5

Randall Arnold randall.arnold at texrat.net
Mon Dec 8 21:57:48 CET 2014

I really like the concept of having dinners at restaurants that donate to the
nonprofit holding the event.  For one, it reduces the risk and overhead for the
nonprofit-- no need to load up on goods that may go unused.  For another, it
helps make the event more generic, and thus attractive to others outside the
immediate maker community (family, friends, coworkers, et al).  Finally, in some
cases the restaurant will help promote the event.

What I had proposed to our body was for certain leaders to focus on
participating restaurants near their work or home and "own" them for the sake of
fundraising.  That helps with coverage and can make logistics easier for some.

You're correct Phil that these aren't necessarily stable income streams and so
organizations need to keep their options open.  My personal goal is start with
the premise of a completely free membership (not saying it's very practical,
just a philosophical starting point) and see what other revenue sources exist.
 That's how I stumbled across low-hanging fruit like Amazon Smile (which is VERY
underused in my experience) and the fact that companies like Wells Fargo have
huge budgets for donating to organizations that contribute in some fashion to
their general communities.  maker orgs with a focus on education, for instance,
should easily be able to satisfy such requirements.

Randy