[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces survey on Free/Libre Open Source Software

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 23:55:27 CEST 2014

Ben,
In a way it is true  that Is how I saw hackerspaces but I am learning from
this feedback. I always thought that hackerspaces would prefer using FLOSS
but it is also a question of what members want.

To be honest for me it was that my linux workstations that I setup being
removed and replaced with adobe/windows stations, that is one thing that
really sent me over the edge on this topic.

Of course it is the will of the people and I will respect that and just
choose for myself where I want to spend my resources on. But I personally
am not going to pay membership dues that is being spent on Adobe and
Microsoft software.

mike

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Ben Brown <ben at generik.ca> wrote:

> Maybe it's just the wording, but it sounds like you may want to
> re-define a hackerspace as a FLOSS-only environment, to the exclusion of
> spaces that may use proprietary software?
>
> I've been to a handful of difference hackerspaces in North America, and
> I can't think of one where I didn't see *something* that was using
> proprietary tools or software. Sometimes there's no practical choice
> otherwise.
>
> Ben
>
> On 4/7/2014 4:53 PM, Mike Dupont wrote:
> >
> > For me, i just wish that there were some criteria and guidelines we
> > could all agree on that we can send  to people who want to call
> > themselves a hackerspace to guide them. I see that my survery was very
> > biased in my personal view of FLOSS as pointed out by Randall.
> >
> > For me I am thinking about creating what these guidelines might
> > include, and maybe this is the forum to discuss them.

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3