[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces survey on Free/Libre Open Source Software

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Sun Apr 6 17:45:22 CEST 2014

I don't think hackerspaces are tied to FLOSS at all.  If you want to GNU
all the things, good luck with that.  But, many of us aren't focused on
that sort of project.  I know at resistor we use many propietary software
suites in addition to open source.

We use Eagle, we use corel draw.  Our laser cutter works best with corel
draw on windows.  And so, that is what is running on the laser cutter CAD
system.

Again in hardware, many manufacturers only supply tooling for windows.

Best tool for the job does not always include open source options.

And for some folks, the goal is the project they are working on, not how
they are working on it.

So, I'd say do whatever floats your boat, but don't expect hackerspaces to
line up and support FLOSS across the board.  That was never the point.
Even in european hackerspaces.

-Matt