[hackerspaces] How to create a steady-state makerspace/hackerspace business model

Gui Cavalcanti gui at artisansasylum.com
Tue Jun 4 18:08:05 CEST 2013

Stitch,

There's certainly a spectrum! While the Asylum doesn't have completely
open doors (as in, you can't just come in and hang out, unless you're a
member's guest), we have a large enough membership (300+) that there are
always people hanging out in the space. It's rare for the space to have
fewer than 50 people around on most weeknights.

As I mentioned in the article, I think it really does boil down to
expenses. Rent in our area is so high that without multiple sources of
income and regular monthly payments, we couldn't stay open. Once we
charge for membership, however, we have to provide a service that
matches what people are paying for. This is why we strive for work areas
that professionals could use to practice their craft.

A big part of why we grew as a space was because it was so difficult to
stay open at the 9,000 square foot scale, given our expenses and the
fact that it was nobody's full-time job to run the space (so we were all
burning out). We weren't the only ones that ran into this in Boston -
Willoughby & Baltic, a local hackerspace, occupied the 9,000 square foot
space before us and imploded for a variety of reasons, but one of the
most significant was simply not having sustainable sources of income.
i3Detroit, on the other hand, stays open at 8,000 square feet with no
paid staff, because their expenses are so incredibly low (10x lower rent
than us, per square foot).

Travis Good and the NOVA Labs <http://www.nova-labs.org/blog/> crew have
a very good mix; they're running with a robust business plan, at a scale
(3,000-4,000 square feet) that is sustainable by volunteers. i3Detroit
<http://www.i3detroit.com/>, like I mentioned, is still going strong at
4 years with all volunteers.

I don't personally know of spaces larger than i3Detroit who still work
as a free-to-access community space with an all-volunteer staff that's
akin to what you're talking about. Even i3Detroit is an exception, in my
mind, because their expenses are so low compared to almost every other
part of the U.S.

-Gui