[hackerspaces] How to create a steady-state makerspace/hackerspace business model

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Tue Jun 4 19:32:19 CEST 2013

On 04/06/13 18:08, Gui Cavalcanti wrote:

> I don't personally know of spaces larger than i3Detroit who still work
> as a free-to-access community space with an all-volunteer staff that's
> akin to what you're talking about. Even i3Detroit is an exception, in my
> mind, because their expenses are so low compared to almost every other
> part of the U.S.

Which makes me wonder, do you then really want to grow that big? TechInc
is small, but can run on a regular income of about 1k euro and has about
100m2 on floor space (a bit bigger might be nice but works well) and
Amsterdam is not the cheapest place to rent.

Is it really worth it to be 'so big' if it requires paid staff and no
longer is free-to-access? wouldn't it be better to have multiple smaller
spaces?

w.