[hackerspaces] How to create a steady-state makerspace/hackerspace business model

Elger Jonker elger.jonker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:51:48 CEST 2013

Hey Gui,

It's interesting to see that you can make a living doing what you love.
This model sounds OK for running a "hardware workshop"-type makerspace with
some FTE, or at least give a general feel about it.

I say hardware workshop because because in my experience this is not a
place where you go and hang out after work or in the weekends to do cool
stuff. The numbers might be the cause of breaking this concept. Am i right?

In contrast: many of the spaces i know operate as a foundation. They stay
afloat with about 1000 euro each month coming from memberships, selling
drinks and donations (usually in that order). Everyone contributes in
buying stuff that's needed or wanted. There is real dedication but in the
end it's mostly leisure.

What i'm wondering: can there be a mix between the
80k-a-month-food-on-the-table and 1k-a-month-we-all-have-fun. Any space
that has this mix working?

Regards,
Stitch

PS: At hack42 we went outside last week and discovered there was a
beautiful garden beneath the wilderness:
https://hack42.nl/gallery/v/Spacecam/DSCF6288.JPG.html

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Gui Cavalcanti <gui at artisansasylum.com>wrote:

> My latest (gigantic) blog post for MAKE is up here:
> http://blog.makezine.com/2013/**06/04/making-makerspaces-**
> creating-a-business-model/<http://blog.makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/>
>
> It focuses on how to create a steady-state business model for makerspaces
> and hackerspaces, paying extra careful attention to all of the expenses
> that could be incurred by a business of our type. It's not a complete list,
> for sure, but it's an intensive one.
>
> Would love to hear what you guys think.
>
> --
> Gui Cavalcanti, President
> Artisan's Asylum, Inc.
> http://www.artisansasylum.com
> Cell: (857) 389-7669

Elger Jonker
Pentesting / Mediawiki / Content Management / Database Modelling

+31 (0)6 1342 5622 (+31 61 dial mac)
Skype: elger.jonker
http://www.awesomeretro.com - retro gaming foundation
http://www.elgerjonker.nl - curriculum vitae / weblog