[hackerspaces] Please explain this to me

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:29:48 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Phil Broussard <phillip at squidfoo.com> wrote:
> So the message I'm supposed to get from this is that had it not been for the
> hippies I wouldn't have a hackerspace to be a part of? That they are a
> response to bourgeois society and based around the anarchist mentality and
> an anti government movement?
>
> I just can't accept that this is how hakerspaces came into being.

Differentiate between hackerspaces and makerspaces here, both started
in the garage (cf. Steve Wozniak and the building of the first
personal computer), but the former involves liberation (hence the
reference to hippies), the latter only tangentially.

> If this article is meant to bring a philosophical point of view to the
> growth of hackerspaces, so be it. It just seams like a real stretch. I would
> really enjoy an article that documents how things started with places like
> New Hack City and Hasty Pastry and progressed to our current place in time.
> Especially if it included how the changes in technology influenced the
> growth of new spaces.

Probably a book like Hackers by Steven Levy would be good.

MarkJ
Tacoma, Washington