[hackerspaces] Please explain this to me

Phil Broussard phillip at squidfoo.com
Wed Jul 24 04:25:34 CEST 2013

So the message I'm supposed to get from this is that had it not been for
the hippies I wouldn't have a hackerspace to be a part of? That they are
a response to bourgeois society and based around the anarchist mentality
and an anti government movement?

I just can't accept that this is how hakerspaces came into being. There
were things like hackerspaces before the first ones in the 90's. First
thing that comes to mind is how garages used to rent out a bays for a
person to work on a car. Tools provided, more experienced "members" to
mentor you. This wasn't because of a counter culture movement. It was
because there were a group of people that liked doing the same thing.

If this article is meant to bring a philosophical point of view to the
growth of hackerspaces, so be it. It just seams like a real stretch. I
would really enjoy an article that documents how things started with
places like New Hack City and Hasty Pastry and progressed to our current
place in time. Especially if it included how the changes in technology
influenced the growth of new spaces.

Phil