[hackerspaces] hackerspace demographics

Jenny Ryan jenny at thepyre.org
Thu Jan 17 02:08:53 CET 2013

Lisha,

Thank you for sharing that story, and that panel talk - I've bookmarked it
to watch this evening. I've also witnessed such 'hacker witch hunts' often
targeting clothes-hackers and foodhackers - people doing really innovative
things with some of our more fundamental technologies. Matt's suggestion
that he would 'wear out his welcome' by integrating arduinos into his
crafts in a knitting circle is baffling, since the creative
application/tinkering of any technology is imho exactly what hackerspaces
are about. Here is a link to our clothes-hacking night at Sudo
Room<http://sudoroom.org/art-murmur-clothes-hacking/>,
integrating LEDs and electronic thread, if anyone feels inspired. We don't
have a kitchen yet, but we're really excited about our komucha and beer
brew setups, cheese-making, and upcoming mushroom grow
setup<http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Biology>also.

At Sudo Room, our core values are inclusivity, transparency, and
open-mindedness
regarding what a "hacker" is and could be <http://sudoroom.org/definitions/>.
This includes hacking our city's government by coming up with participatory
budgeting models and tools for working with open data; it includes
community radio stations and Oakland Wiki, tools which endeavor to document
and give voice to our surrounding community (rather than insulating in a
little hacker bubble); it includes sewing machines, CNC routers, 3D
printers and bike repair stations - and creating a space where, rather than
telling folks who come to our space to make things that what they're doing
isn't "real hacking," we ask if they'd like to teach a workshop so we can
all learn a new skill.

That's what it means to be welcoming, which is one viable strategy for
improving the demographic diversity of hackerspaces.

Just my $0.02,

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org