[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:00:31 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Tamara <Tamara at brownpapertickets.com> wrote:
\> I'm seeking ideas for how to consistently cover our rent each month and
> still have some funds left over for consumables, necessities and perhaps a
> small emergency fund. We currently have a scaled membership and teach a
> number of classes each month, but there's often a gap between what we make
> each month and what we need to cover it all without panic, begging, and
> general freaking out. We've begun a series of fundraising meetings to
> discuss additional ideas for what might work, but I'm wondering - what works
> best for your hackerspace?

Hi Tamara.  I am going to watch your conversation with great interest,
because I don't believe there is yet a stable model for hackerspaces,
although I do suggest a auto-paypermonth "subscription"/membership
that some hackerspaces have employed.  Otherwise, I'm working on the
software to make the [[[hackerspace economic system]]], that will
allow hackerspaces to aggregate community events into a
self-sustaining model (the focus of my research is self-organizing
systems).  It's over at pangaia.sourceforge.net if you want to look at
it.  Wish you luck.

Cheers,

Mark