[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Tue Feb 12 07:45:41 CET 2013

There are a couple best practices we've settled on at Noisebridge
(shocking, I know):

1) Make it aggressively easy for people to set up *recurring* donations.
Steer everyone and anyone towards that.
2) Encourage sliding scale donations, for those blessed by the tech boom
3) Put a big piggy-bank right by the front door. But don't let it get
stolen like we did.
4) Have a pre-written spiel describing just how important donations are,
to be read before public events
4.5) Break down exactly how much it costs, per day, to run the space.
Transparency in budgeting can drive home the point.
5) Get registered as a 501(c)3 if US-based. Then some employers will do
matching donations

Some other spaces rent out "private" square footage for members as
needed. This works really well for Artisan's Asylum.

HTH,
--Casey