[hackerspaces] Dream Space

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:15:36 CET 2013

> I'm the space planner/manager for our existing 5,000 ft facility and, truth be told we are already pretty cramped with a wood shop, metal shop, welding room, electronics, 3d print area, office, social and storage space. Many of the tools are on wheels so they can be moved into an open area to be used, or at put away in storage area when not in use (textiles especially).

I'd recommend an event space with a hi-def projector and large
wall-space for a screen.  One of the main things you're going to want
to do with such a large space is build community, and events where the
general community are invited are important.

Since you said "dream space".  I'd also suggest resident living areas
(hacker lofts), or barring that, a lounge space for people building
projects to build rapport and share ideas.  (A minimalist kitchen:
water boiler, toaster oven, sink, microwave).

You might want to check out quora.com and the answers for "What are
the best practices developing for hackerspaces?".

MarkJ
Tacoma, Washington