[hackerspaces] Dream Space

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 20:18:17 CET 2013

I would start with:

1. Basic building maintenance. Things like the roof or electrical system
are big-ticket items that aren't going to get fixed by volunteers passing
the hat. Also, the same applies for any type of occupancy
certificate/compliance stuff. Make sure your zoning and build-out will
allow for everything you want to do. It would suck to spend all of your
money and discover that you can't pass the fire inspection, or should have
added 2 more outside doors while the carpenters were still there. This sort
of thing is an existential threat to your space. You can always add desks
and A/V equipment, but you only get to do this stuff once.

2. If you want to do woodworking or welding, I would highly recommend
getting outside ventilation installed for several welding stations. For
woodworking, you want a central dust collection system if possible. You
also want venting for the laser cutter. If you want to add compressed air,
an outside cage with piping and electrical is wonderful, as you won't have
to listen to it all the time.

3. Large slop sink for clean-up tasks. Also look at getting a floor drain
in any "wet" or dirty room you might need it later, and any other water or
sewer hookups that might be required. Consider a shower as well. And maybe
plumbing a line or two for a "never ending" water cooler.

4. Storage space-it's worth spending money on some surplus warehouse
shelving and/or pick bins. You can make very sturdy shelving liek we did
from 1" square stock or similar. Have a look at this:

http://hackaday.com/2013/06/13/upgrading-a-hackerspaces-shelving/

5. Get more outlets than you think you need, including 220V. Laser cutters
and machine tools usually need 220V, 20A, while larger TIG and MIG welders
often need 50A. If you have any 3-phase tools, get power run for those as
well. Get lots of outlets put in where people will use laptops and other
stuff if you want to avoid a cord jungle later.

Get more conduits than you think you need. Get a bigger panel than you
think you need. Set aside a wiring closet and make sure it has power. You
can add more CAT5 or circuits yourself later.

Arclight