[hackerspaces] Dream Space

Agent 5 ag3nt5 at dc401.org
Fri Dec 20 16:18:16 CET 2013

I would design everything as modular as possible. First I'd look at what
activities would happen in/around that space, and figure out where they
overlap via equipment. Then categorize what environment that needs to be
done in. In our space, we separated the heavy machinery from the cubicles
and servers. The welding and woodworking could be done in a well ventilated
area downstairs, and the area upstairs was heated better with less noise
pollution. If you have outdoor space, I would even look into CNCing a few
structures (http://www.wikihouse.cc/) for either private quiet study,
soundstage, mini photo/video studio, or welding/woodworking in the winter.
Structures like that don't cost very much when buying materials in bulk AND
they can be taken apart, moved, and stored.

-Library and cafe area. Relaxation and collection of thought is important.
-Demo space. A safe place to let your robots loose without destroying
everything else.
-Meeting space. Large one for public. Smaller one for private.
-Greenhouse. Don't think about it, just build one. Preferably one you can
sit in. Every great inventor of the renaissance had an atrium as it
promotes thought. And for that matter, the bio-eng nerds will use it.
Aquaculture too.
-Food engineering. If possible, it would be great to have a certified
kitchen. Restaurant popups and startups could use it. Heck, you could even
host popups in the hackerspace.
-Clean rooms. One for Biotech, one for Electronic.
-Scrap heap. Designated supply place for spare materials. Must be suitable
for storing and cataloging.
-Welding area and Woodworking area. Proper ventilation, noise, and eye
protection.
-Treadmill desks. Walking and thinking go very well together. Often free to
build.
-High energy lab. I know we're getting a little space age here and it
probably wouldn't be used, but it would be damn cool.

-Dave